Post your gear

Using USB isolation for audio
Daniel (Intona)

Post your gear

Post by Daniel (Intona) »

USB isolation can improve reliability and audiophile experience drastically.

Or at least a bit.

Sometimes it doesn't work at all.

To make things better, it may be a good idea to know which combination you are using or you have tried and how it performed.

Post your DAC, cables, isolators, filters, servers, speakers, whatever and let's find out what's hot and what's not.
Daniel (Intona)

godmax

Re: Post your gear

Post by godmax »

The gear I currently use with the USB 3.0 Isolator 7055-C:
Audio.Setup.2020.jpg
Main purpose: Headphone listening with PC as source

Questyle CMA 400i (DAC AKM AK4490 / Headphone Amp / USB Receiver: XMOS xCore):
  • eleminated hearable CPU noise from USB on the headphone output (ground loop)
  • improved audible details (with Denon AH-D9200 and ZMF Verite Closed)
  • after 5 seconds after the last playback a negligible silent popping sound occurs with or without USB hub
Denafrips Ares II (DAC R2R / USB Receiver: custom with STM32F446):
  • improved audible details (with Denon AH-D9200 and ZMF Verite Closed)
RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DAC AKM AK4493 / Headphone Amp / USB Receiver: custom):
  • already has a very good isolation from noise engineered by RME, so there was no real improvement noticeable to me
Schiit Hel (DAC AKM AK4490 / Headphone Amp / USB Receiver: C-Media CM6631A):
  • added popping noise at begin and end of each track with or without USB hub (might connect direct to PC again)
Used an iFi iDefender 3.0 before to break the ground loop, but the use of the USB 3.0 Isolator 7055-C addionally improved the perceived audio quality clearly for me.

avdsor

Post by avdsor »

Currently using a Topping D90 -> Topping A90 -> Sennheiser HD 800 S. The A90 also pre-amps to a Schiit Mjolnir 2.

So far I have been continuously using the 7055-B and it has been flawless. I have left it connected for days on end and absolutely no noise from my PC. I was previously using a Matrix Audio Element H and after a few days I would hear crackles in my audio due to noise from my PC. The 7055-B has been absolutely perfect.

cyber

Post by cyber »

MELCO N100
INTONA Primium USB>INTONA 3.0 Isolator>INTONA Reference USB
T+A DAC 8 DSD
Line Magnetic LM211
ProAC T10
DT1990

antigrunge

Post by antigrunge »

Innuos Zenith Mk3 (Linux) -> Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold. USB cables by Artisan Silvercables
Setup is a bit tricky, power everything down, then power up starting with the dac