Intona 7054X ASIO issue

Using USB isolation for audio
Pinthrift

Intona 7054X ASIO issue

Post by Pinthrift »

Hi. New member here, non-tech having issues in Foobar in adding this isolator. I am getting an error message that ASIO is preventing the connection from USB from PC to my Focusrite Clarett DAC. Any advice for my Tech? Thanks, Norm

Daniel (Intona)

Re: Intona 7054X ASIO issue

Post by Daniel (Intona) »

Hi,

the isolator works transparently and is not aware of any specific protocol such as ASIO.
When your DAC does not enumerate correctly, this is most likely an USB compatibility issue of the device.
In your specific case, this is in fact an issue of the Clarett. We where in tight contact with Focusrite some months ago and we even lend them an isolator and offered support to solve this.
Unfortunately, they could not solve this because it would require hardware changes.

But there is a workaround to make this work. Connect an USB hub between the isolator and the DAC. The hub will cure the protocol violations and transparent isolation with Intona will be possible then.
Daniel (Intona)

Atanasi

Post by Atanasi »

Daniel (Intona) wrote: September 18th, 2020, 9:56 am But there is a workaround to make this work. Connect an USB hub between the isolator and the DAC. The hub will cure the protocol violations and transparent isolation with Intona will be possible then.
I have a similar problem with Topping E30. My Intona is 7055-C, but E30 is a USB 2 device. The device works occasionally, but enumeration fails often. If I watch the device at Windows Device Manager, sometimes the device shows as failed, sometimes no problem is indicated but the audio output is just not added.
Does a bus-powered hub work, or do I need a self-powered hub?

Atanasi

Post by Atanasi »

I tried a bus-powered hub (Anker Ultra Slim USB 3.0), and it didn't work. The cables here are USB 2. When I added the E30, I got an error message that the device descriptor could not be fetched.

Daniel (Intona)

Post by Daniel (Intona) »

Is the E30 powered by the USB bus or by its own power supply?
Daniel (Intona)

Atanasi

Post by Atanasi »

E30 has its own power input. USB bus power is not used.
I used the power supply that came with Chromecast, a small phone-charger-like power supply.

Atanasi

Post by Atanasi »

I tried a couple of self-powered hubs also.
Transcend TS-HUB3K didn't work. It takes an optional 12 V power supply, it didn't allow E30 to work regardless of power.
Anker 7-port hub (H7928-U3) worked.

MOTU M4 behaved the same as E30. It didn't work when connected directly to Intona or with the Transcend hub, but it did work with the Anker hub.

Finally, I tried a Macally hub and a Ugreen hub, which were used as bus-powered, neither of which worked. Their internal Ethernet adapters didn't work, either.

I suppose this depends on the chipset of the hub. If the information I found is correct, Anker has VL812 and Transcend has GL3523.

Currently, I can get things to work with the Transcend hub connected to the laptop, where I take connection to the Anker hub after Intona.

Atanasi

Post by Atanasi »

I managed to get the Transcend hub working by changing to a shorter cable before Intona.
Transcend can be used as bus-powered, which allows measurably better mains leakage noise compared to Anker, which requires a power supply.