Isolation between streamer and DAC - which Intona device will be the best ?

Using USB isolation for audio
Andy

Isolation between streamer and DAC - which Intona device will be the best ?

Post by Andy »

Hi,

I have a streamer built on a Single Board Computer. The board has separate tracks for LAN and USB support. Each track has an ultra silent VLDO (streamer power supply - external pulse power supply). The streamer output (USB 2.0 A Female) connects to the DAC (USB 2.0 B Female) (THD + N Ratio less than 0.0001%). Streaming between 44.1 kHz 16 Bits and 768 kHz 32 Bits. If I don't take into account the need for an external USB power supply, which Intona device will best perform the task of isolating and niose cancelling such USB connection ?

Best regardas,
Andy

Daniel (Intona)

Re: Isolation between streamer and DAC - which Intona device will be the best ?

Post by Daniel (Intona) »

Hi Andy,

if you are sensitive on the supply rails and are looking for least noise there, the 7055-C is proven to be the most silent. If you are looking for highest overall isolation (so with least parasitic capacitance), you are best with 7055-B. You need to decide yourself at the end, which one is more important.
Daniel (Intona)

Daniel (Intona)

It's interesting to me that your DAC's THD+N measures less than 0.0001%. This is below -120 dB which is not only remarkable but to my knowledge certainly beyond physical limits, even at a BW of 20 kHz. Would you mind sharing more details about this? It just sounds awesome!
Daniel (Intona)

Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your quick and specific answer.
The DAC is Chinese Topping D90. In the attachment I am sending a scan of the documentation. I use it together with a headphone amplifier / preamplifier A90, the documentation of which is also included.
In my opinion, these are very precise and detailed devices. I control the sound using the NDH 20 NEUMANN.BERLIN studio headphones.

Best regards,
Andy

Link to Topping D90: [External Link Removed for Guests]
Link to Topping A90: [External Link Removed for Guests]

Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Daniel,

I ordered yesterday 7055-B.

Best regards,
Andy

Daniel (Intona)

and I ordered a D90 yesterday! Thanks!
Daniel (Intona)

Andy

Post by Andy »

You Welcome ;-))

Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Daniel,

I received my 7055-B today. The DAC sounds better in every aspect (deeper, wider, cleaner).
Thank you very much for constructing and manufacturing such a perfect device.
Next week I am introducing galvanic isolation of the output from the DAC.

Best regards,
Andy :-)

Daniel (Intona)

You're welcome! (Still waiting for the D90)
Daniel (Intona)

Neonknight

Post by Neonknight »

I am considering the purchase of an Intona 7054 or 7055 B or C for my system. The unit is going inbetween a 2014 Mac Mini and an Audio Magic Kukama DAC. The Audio Magic is based on the Burr Brown PCM 1704 chip set, and is limited to 24/96. I should also add that I need to use a Singxer SU1 USB/SPDIF converter which is a USB 2.0 device. Will this limit me to the 7054? The rest of the system consists of a Halcro DM8 pre-amplifer, AVM Audio Amp Essential monoblocks, JBL 4365 speakers, and a pair of Velodyne HGS12 subwoofers.

The question I have is will the 7055 models provider a lower noise floor in relation to the 7054 given that I am using a digital system that will be playing standard redbook files. Or does the type of media not really fall into the equation? 33

Since I am in the United States do I have an option with ordering from a domestic seller, or how long should I expect transit times be from Germany?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Daniel (Intona)

Transit time is 2-4 working days. We always ship by UPS Express.
I recommend the 7055-B for your system as it has the highest isolation vs. (low) noise floor.
But you are not limited to a specific model. All Intona isolators, even those with USB 3.0, will work in your system. USB 3.0 is (if properly implemented) backwards compatible to 2.0. You can even connect your audiophile grade 2.0 cables into the 3.0 ports. The additional 3.0 lines are simply ignored in this case. There is a drawback with higher power consumption of the 3.0 isolators which can be an issue in battery powered applications. In conclusion, you can decide yourself.
Daniel (Intona)