Cannot achieve lock with Streamer

Using USB isolation for audio
Arjay

Cannot achieve lock with Streamer

Post by Arjay »

Have been using a 7055-C successfully (up to dsd512) between MacBook Pro and May DAC using intona reference.
Upon replacing computer with Auralic Aries G1 streamer the 7055-C does not "lock" the green LED blinks. Streamer says "lost connection." Taking the 7055-C out restores connection and playback.
Strangely the DAC displays correct track resolution.

Tried to use a power supply, but it just beeps still with no lock.

Please Advise,
Ray

cyber

Re: Cannot achieve lock with Streamer

Post by cyber »

Please change power on schedule, or plug in and plug out usb cable , maybe it will be connected, It's not intone problem

Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Cyber, Thanks for your reply. Indeed I have disconnected and reconnected both usb cables at both ends AND have turned off, unplugged, reinserted power and restarted both units.
I am not sure what "change power on schedule" means.
I am concerned there may be compatibility issues with the Aries since problems started after its installation.

Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Upon further investigation, once the 7055-C is installed the Aries no longer "finds" or "sees" the May and limits trying to connect via its internal USB protocols, And, these internal protocols do not pass audio signal through the intona to the DAC.

Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Anyone? Thoughts? Daniel?

Daniel (Intona)

Post by Daniel (Intona) »

They are using an off-the-shelf XMOS chip.
aries-g1-detail.jpeg
XMOS supplies the USB audio classes (UAC 2.0) to their customers free of charge since ever. There were many, many bugs in this and there is no straight forward USB compliance testing.
But doing transparent USB isolation requires 100% USB compliance from both host and device. One of the older bugs seems to match your issue.

To my knowledge, there are two ways to fix this:
1. ask the vendor of your DAC for an update of the XMOS firmware.
2. add an USB hub between the DAC and the isolator. (Because the hub enumerates to the host, it will obtain separate timing resources for both handshaking and data transfer.)
Daniel (Intona)

Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Thank You!
I will investigate your recommendations.
Ray

Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Daniel,
I contacted Auralic who said the installed software is the current and latest available. They also provided some suggestions in terms of start-up sequence of both devices with Isolator in-line. No improvement.
I suspect a fault lies within the Aries that renders it incompatible with the Isolator. As an aside, I tried the Aries with two other DACs and in each case there was no connection when the Intona was in place. Removing the Intona restored Aries ability to "see" and connect to any of the now 3 DACs I have tried. It seems the Aries is not compatible with the Isolator.
Using computers MBPro or Windows based desktop as source, both work fine with Isolator in-line.
I did not have a USB hub to insert between isolator and DAC, but I ordered one to try. I am a bit concerned the extra device and connections will defeat, at least partially, the purpose and function of the Isolator.
Feel free to correct me on this "concern."
Thank you again for your response and advice,
Ray

Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Insertion of hub between Isolator and DAC no help.

Daniel (Intona)

Please try the hub between MBPro and Isolator.
Daniel (Intona)

Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Thanks Daniel,
I am done trying for now.
Maybe Auralic will upgrade the xmos software with next upgrade.
Thanks for your assistance.
Ray

crazywoo

Post by crazywoo »

i have the same issue running rpi4 ropieexl as roonbridge, intona cannot lock the signal sending from rpi4 while another windows laptop pc have no problem (led status green solid color without blinking)

The same rpi4 and cables works with iFi nano USB before, i just wonder is there any turnaround solution here ? Thanks.

Daniel (Intona)

Didn't hear of any rpi related issues. I will try it with some rpi when I am in the lab next time.
Daniel (Intona)

crazywoo

Post by crazywoo »

crazywoo wrote: May 15th, 2021, 4:26 am i have the same issue running rpi4 ropieexl as roonbridge, intona cannot lock the signal sending from rpi4 while another windows laptop pc have no problem (led status green solid color without blinking)

The same rpi4 and cables works with iFi nano USB before, i just wonder is there any turnaround solution here ? Thanks.
I just did a test, when adding iFi nano USB between rpi4 and isolator, (Rpi4 <-> iFi USB <-> USB isolator <-> USB DAC) it will work without any problem. That's strange.

Daniel (Intona)

That points me that the rpi4 does not deliver enough power for the isolator. Is the DAC USB-powered? Which isolator model do you have?
Daniel (Intona)

crazywoo

Post by crazywoo »

Daniel (Intona) wrote: May 21st, 2021, 8:52 pm That points me that the rpi4 does not deliver enough power for the isolator. Is the DAC USB-powered? Which isolator model do you have?
DAC is Chord Qutest and have seperate USB power supply for it. i have usb 3.0 1kv version one.

Softsounds

Post by Softsounds »

Daniel (Intona) wrote: May 21st, 2021, 8:52 pm That points me that the rpi4 does not deliver enough power for the isolator. Is the DAC USB-powered? Which isolator model do you have?
I am using the Model 7055-C and it has worked flawlessly via the Allo Usbridge Signature which uses a Raspberry Pi 3, as well as via a Mac. However I recently upgraded to a Pi4 B and running either Ropieee or VitOS and it does not lock.

I have also tried a separate 5v 3A power supply and it does not solve the problem.

Wondering if there is a solution yet for this.

Daniel (Intona)

I am currently awaiting a Pi4B. I will have a look into the data transfer asap.
Daniel (Intona)

crazywoo

Post by crazywoo »

Daniel (Intona) wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:14 am I am currently awaiting a Pi4B. I will have a look into the data transfer asap.
Any update for pi4 issue ?

Softsounds

Post by Softsounds »

Still waiting for a reply here too… I guess the 7055 may not ever work with the Pi4B.

Would be good to know what the problem is as I am thinking of upgrading to a Zen Stream and am wondering whether it would have the same issue.

mete

Post by mete »

I have just received my 7055-C without seeing this post and stuck on the same issue with Pi4B (running ropieee). Any updates ?

Daniel (Intona)

My Pi4B here is working perfectly fine. Maybe there is a USB-incompatibility in your setup.
If you use "audiophile grade" USB cables, swap them with off-the-shelf gray USB cables just out of curiosity.
You can also try a proper Computer (e.g. MacBook) with your DAC and the Intona isolator and watch if the issue still exists.
Daniel (Intona)

mete

Post by mete »

Daniel (Intona) wrote: December 14th, 2021, 2:22 pm My Pi4B here is working perfectly fine. Maybe there is a USB-incompatibility in your setup.
If you use "audiophile grade" USB cables, swap them with off-the-shelf gray USB cables just out of curiosity.
You can also try a proper Computer (e.g. MacBook) with your DAC and the Intona isolator and watch if the issue still exists.
I am using usual/common USB cables, one that comes with the device and one Lindy brand. It was not working with an RME DAC and also not working with an SMSL DAC. No problem when I use a Mac and the isolator. Are you trying it on Pi4B with the stock image or also with ropieee ? If you are not testing with ropieee, then there is a problem there. Is it related to Linux kernel version or some firmware running on Pi4B ? How can I debug it ?

Softsounds

Post by Softsounds »

Problem solved!

After much frustration in trying to get a signal lock with both pi4b and a recently purchased Roon Nucleus + (Rev B) I have managed to find a workaround using the iFi iPurifier3...Placed between the Nucleus USB port and the Intona. The Intona usb output is subsequently plugged directly into the DAC.

I would assume that the 'Regeneration ' function of the iFi reproduces a USB connection that is more compatible with the Intona... and no external power supply was required either. :D :D :D

intona_fan33

Post by intona_fan33 »

crazywoo wrote: May 27th, 2021, 12:22 pm
DAC is Chord Qutest and have seperate USB power supply for it. i have usb 3.0 1kv version one.
This DAC's USB input is already galvanically isolated.

But some problems with double isolation with Intona added?

Kokon

Post by Kokon »

I have the same finding. Without the 7054-X isolator, the lock is perfect. As I know that the USB insterface of my AUNE S8 DAC is powered by the DAC itself instead of by the streamer, I assume this is the root cause for the lock problem. I can achieve lock by reconnect the usb cable or power on streamer first, power on DAC after streamer finishing boot, but I hope a new firmware can improve this trouble.

Kokon

Post by Kokon »

In [External Link Removed for Guests], the firmware update maybe will fix the problem.
Got the replacement isolator with latest firmware, it works perfect with my Linux system player. Hi Daniel , thank you so much for your effort.

Softsounds

Post by Softsounds »

Softsounds wrote: January 8th, 2022, 4:50 am Problem solved!

After much frustration in trying to get a signal lock with both pi4b and a recently purchased Roon Nucleus + (Rev B) I have managed to find a workaround using the iFi iPurifier3...Placed between the Nucleus USB port and the Intona. The Intona usb output is subsequently plugged directly into the DAC.

I would assume that the 'Regeneration ' function of the iFi reproduces a USB connection that is more compatible with the Intona... and no external power supply was required either. :D :D :D
I have just tried the iSilencer+ which is much cheaper and that works too.

Daniel (Intona)

That is very close to be a snake oil product. Based on lacking knowledge on EE and physics of a typical audio enthusiast (which is ok), this is money down the drain (and not ok).
Daniel (Intona)

mete

Post by mete »

I still cannot use the isolator with rpi4b, this time using moode audio on rpi4b with a denafrips DAC. Is there something I can do like updating firmware etc. ? By cannot use I mean moode audio does not see the DAC, without the isolator (direct connection) everything works fine.

Update and some debugging:
- After seeing the posts above, I decided to try putting something in between. As I also have two USB hosts, it would be good to try a USB switch so I tried Aten US234 USB 3 switch (2 hosts, 4 clients).
- With this, rpi4b has no issue of seeing the DAC.
- My other host is iPhone 13, and it also does not see the isolator even with the USB switch between.
- I tried supplying additional power to Aten (normally it is bus powered), then iPhone 13 connection works too. Not sure if same, but maybe the problem with isolator and rpi4b is similar, something related to power.
- If I supply aux power to the isolator, then I hear some relay sounds sometimes, but it still does not work (I tried this also directly with rpi4b and the isolator, and it was not working).

So my current working setup is below. I tried a few times switching the hosts and audio playback and it seems to be working fine.
audio.png

pwanner

Post by pwanner »

I just received a 7055-c I bought second hand before having seen this post and now I also have the problem that the isolator between my PI4 and my DAC dosen't work :-(

I tried a hub in between and a ifi Purifier 3 and nothing works.

Connected directly to my mac mini instead of the PI4 is all good, but not the purpose.

Is there any update for a solution that works with a PI4?

Daniel (Intona)

Can you describe color and blink rythm of the LED on the isolator?
Daniel (Intona)