most reliable USB setup - 16 peripheral

Intona 7054 and 7055 series
luketheduke

most reliable USB setup - 16 peripheral

Post by luketheduke »

Hello,

I need to connect 16 USB device to Dell workstation

I install Startech single USB C port USB 3.2 Gen card [External Link Removed for Guests]

This way the devices have their own controller. maybe this card is bad choice?

Then I connect 16 port hub like this [External Link Removed for Guests] using shortest possible USB C to USB B cable.

Then I connect the 16 devices to hub

In testing so far, the rear port of Dell workstation is much more reliable than front port. 16 port Hub to rear ports introduce some more problems. so that is why I go to Startech Card instead.

The devices have DC power supply different from computer and I need to get rid of ground loop and occasional lockups issues

Also don't want noise from the 16 different devices being spread around USB bus to each other

I look at Intona 7055 series, ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO, EX-1452IS

I need to buy 16 or 17 units (if isolating Hub from PC also?) so of course I am looking at price also

I am thinking that Transparent Intona is better product because I am already using a hub, I hate to add extra cascading hubs like the Exsys would add. make things more complicated and messy I think

Let me know what you think about this thank you

Daniel (Intona)

Re: most reliable USB setup - 16 peripheral

Post by Daniel (Intona) »

I suggest that you order one unit and test it. You can send it back for a refund if you run into issues.
I recommend 7055-D if you are also using USB 3.0-3.2. If you just need USB 2.0 Hi Speed at your end points, the cheaper 7055-B would do. They share the same 2.0 isolation circuit.
Daniel (Intona)

luketheduke

Re: most reliable USB setup - 16 peripheral

Post by luketheduke »

Ok thank you. Yes if any isolator will help, Intona is the right solution, can't be adding extra hubs to my topology

I should mention that the problems occur when 2 or more of these identical peripherals are connected to a hub (root hub or external hub) at the same time. they will somehow wreak havoc on each other, and will exhibit symptoms similar to "packet loss"

I have ruled out driver issue, because even forwarding 1 of the devices to a Guest virtual machine and leaving 1 connected to the physical OS results in same issue. so its at a low level, not driver problem.

Sometimes, when plugging in 3 or more of these devices I get the yellow Windows message in the bottom right "The last USB device you connected malfunctioned"

I am hoping it is some type of noise or ground loop, that is additive such than when I connect 3 or more, it gets so bad that nothing works. If this is the case Intona isolators could help