Using intona outdoor Topic is solved

Using USB isolation for audio
MikkoV

Using intona outdoor

Post by MikkoV »

Hi,

Im using USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator 5kV with my usb iso regen isolator which is powered with ac cable. That combination works great with my chord hugo 2 dac.

I would want to use Intona in outdoor use too or listening music at bed as I think Intona is one of the best bus powered isolators on the market.

Problem is that usually I cannot get my intona powered and Im thinking is it whether because:
-my LG V40 doesn't output required 130mA so Intona doesnt turn on
-my phone is running android 9 which doesn't have option to choose usb configuration to "usb audio" as android 8 used to have. Wondering does someone with latest android version or android 8 got it working?

Reason is clearly that output power is not high enough. If I connect for example powerbank to Intona, it always gets powered.
Phone always chooses usb configuration to "power supply" when connected to Intona but really seldom happens, that my phone gets intona powered when I choose usb configuration to "media transfer".
I have also tried to add other usb isolators to chain (audioquest jtterbug, ifi ipurifier) but Im not sure whether they have helped to sometimes get Intona powered. I'd want to use all those three combined.

I'd want to know if there's some hack how to make Intona work with android 9 phone or whether it work great with latest or earlier android version.

Daniel (Intona)

Re: Using intona outdoor

Post by Daniel (Intona) »

I don't know if any earlier or later android version works better.
Your problem is clearly the power delivery and the only thing that I suggest is reducing the setup. Isn't it the case that Regen can power the next device? Then you could use your power bank there.
Daniel (Intona)

MikkoV

Post by MikkoV »

Usb Regen can power the device because Regen needs electric from the wall. That's also why it can't be used in outdoor use.
If I can't get Intona powered without electric from wall, I should maybe use some lighter usb isolators like ipurifier and jitterbug in outdoor use.

Intona has only one input so I can't use that input for both powerbank and usb otg cable. Just wish that usb micro in device could be used also for powering unit.
Im wondering could I use some usb hub that has 2inputs and 1 output so another input I would use for my phone and another one for power bank. Wondering would that output have then higher power delivery to power Intona. There must be many such adapters, what you think could it work? [External Link Removed for Guests]

Daniel (Intona)

Post by Daniel (Intona) »

Those split cables are just usual hubs and work surprisingly good. Try it.

You can use a Y-split power injection cable for powering the isolator at primary side (and not being a hub):
[External Link Removed for Guests]
Daniel (Intona)

MikkoV

Post by MikkoV »

Wow, thanks for recommendation. I ordered that cable.